Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Crazy Quilt Bouquet quilt block

Crazy Quilt Bouquet
October 24, 1933-Thrifty Bouquet Pattern Utilizes Old Quilt Scraps was the title of Nancy Cabot's Chicago Tribune column introducing her pattern for the Crazy Quilt Bouquet quilt. Not what we would probably think of as being a crazy quilt.

Nancy wrote, "This Crazy Quilt Bouquet is attractive in its own right but it has an added appeal to the thrifty quilter because in it she can utilize all her scraps from other quilts. The color problem ceases to be a problem if care is used in matching the scraps and striving for harmonious effects."

The quilt block was shown as a four patch in the newspaper. I chose to make just one of the four sections because I thought it more suitable for a 6" block. I used a combination of techniques. I paper pieced the left side and bottom of the block but rotary cut the remaining pieces.

My parts look like this-


The solid squares are cut at 2" and the half square triangles are also 2" made to finish at 1 1/2". Use any method you like to make the 1 1/2" finished half square triangle blocks. I sewed the square units together forming a nine patch block before adding the side paper pieced sections.


The side sections are attached using a "y" seam.

You can download templates and my paper pieced part of the Crazy Quilt Bouquet pattern here or the block can be found in Electric Quilt's Blockbase program as #4137 though it's slightly different. I've included templates in case anyone has scraps they are wanting to use that won't work when cutting squares.

I haven't been able to find an old pattern or any quilts made using the Crazy Quilt Bouquet design.

Tomorrow-Magical Circle

No comments :

Post a Comment