Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Poppies quilt block

Poppies
October 2, 1933-"Here is a quilt of unusual decorative value," wrote Nancy Cabot regarding her Poppies quilt pattern.

"The glowing reds of the Chinese poppy or the softer pinks or our own garden poppies are the obvious colors to use, and wouldn't they be charming against a white or ivory background?" she suggested.

Nancy also explained that the poppies were to be appliqued to "form the quilt's center, then placed gracefully to form the border."

I can't find a copy of Nancy Cabot's Poppies pattern or any quilts made using the pattern but I did find this Poppy pattern which was undoubtedly the inspiration for Nancy's design! Very, very similar.


Since this is an applique pattern, I did not make it for my sampler. I have decided how I am going to put my sampler quilt together though. I am going to use the diagonal set with green sashing and maybe white cornerstones and make at least a queen size quilt like this-


I decided to use green sashing because not all of my blocks have white background. Some are made from muslin and some are print or solid fabrics so I'm hoping the contrasting green fabric will pull it all together.

Have you decided how you are going to set your quilt blocks? Leave a comment and let us know.

Tomorrow-Double Wedding Ring


No comments :

Post a Comment