Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My Favorite quilt block

My Favorite
 August 8, 1933-"Here we have a pattern entitled "My Favorite," although to whom the "my" refers is unknown," wrote Nancy Cabot in reference to her quilt block today.


Nancy mentions that the block was even more popular in "the east than it is here," referring of course to the Midwest since she was writing from Chicago.


She felt that the My Favorite quilt pattern "was well suited to many color combinations and many types of interior decoration."


Though I made this block two colors like Nancy had illustrated it in her Chicago Tribune column, I think there is a lot of opportunity in this block to change colors.




I made my 6" block by paper piecing it. These are the pieces I used-



A copy of my My Favorite pattern can be found here. This block can also be found in Electric Quilt's Blockbase program as #1939.

I have not found any old patterns or antique quilts like the My Favorite design. I would guess it has another name though I don't know what it is.  Anyone familiar with this block?

In playing around with how this block could be used in a quilt I decided I like it best on point like this-




Tomorrow-Mohawk Trail


No comments :

Post a Comment