Monday, January 13, 2014

Illinois Star quilt block

Illinois Star
August 13, 1933-Made in Yellow and Blue, It Blends Harmoniously with the Decorating Scheme of Man's Room was the subtitle of Nancy Cabot's Chicago Tribune column presenting her pattern for the Illinois Star quilt.

She goes on to say that the block was usually pieced from yellow and blue fabric and would "blend appropriately with the interior decorating scheme of the average boy's or man's room."

Nancy thought the Illinois Star was an easy block to make. I suppose it was easier to do by hand but I don't think it would be that easy by machine with the pattern pieces I assume she would have used based on her drawing.

I added a few lines to my Illinois Star pattern for a 6" block so I could paper piece it by making multiples of the same section like this-


Four of these sections are all that's needed to make the block! View my paper piecing tutorial here.

I could not find any examples of blocks or quilts using the Illinois Star quilt block. The block is however available in Electric Quilt's Blockbase program as as #2744. You can download my paper piecing pattern here.

Tomorrow-Prairie Lilies

No comments :

Post a Comment