Friday, January 3, 2014

Crazy-Quilt Star quilt block

Crazy Quilt Star
August 3, 1933-Firm Mentality Undismayed by Crazy-Quilt Star was the title of Nancy Cabot's column presenting her Crazy-Quilt Star pattern. The pattern sold for "5 cents in stamps or coin" as did all of her patterns to this point.

Nancy described this block as being "a rather recent addition to the family of star patterns."

The Crazy-Quilt Star block is a great one for using lots of scraps as each of the sixteen star points is made from a different fabric. Or, as Nancy put it, "this design affords ample opportunity for utilizing the many small pieces of prints reposing in your scrap bag."

There is a copy of a pattern by Nancy Cabot here that is called Crazy Star. The block pieces are exactly the same as the Crazy-Quilt Star pieces but the block is to be made from only three fabrics. My guess is that she sold her Crazy Star pattern at a later date.

I paper pieced my 6" block.  These are the pieces I used.


I sewed them together in this order-



My Crazy-Quilt Star pattern can be downloaded here. The block can also be found in Electric Quilt's Blockbase program as #3873.

Have you noticed that the center of the Crazy-Quilt Star block is the Beautiful Star block from February 8, 1933? I love both blocks!


Tomorrow-Kentucky Peony

No comments :

Post a Comment