Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Star of Many Points quilt block

Star of Many Points
July 4, 1933-"Star of Many Points," Texas, 1862. is a pattern that might be considered rather difficult by the novice needleworker." This is the first line of Nancy Cabot's column in the Chicago Tribune on this day. What does this mean ?  I understand the part about it being difficult but the Texas, 1862 has me confused.  Has she traced it back to 1862 in Texas?  That's my best guess.  Any other ideas anyone?

She goes on to write, "The principal charm and beauty of the design is found in the many sharp points formed in the piecing of the diamond shaped pieces. Extreme care and patience are necessary to accomplish these results."

She's right about that! This is definitely not a pattern for a beginner quilter.  I paper pieced my 6" block. The pieces are too small for me to want to cut them. The center of the block is is a problem because all the seams leave a bump that is hard to get to lay flat.  Other than that, it goes together easily. You can download my pattern here.

I have not been able to find any additional information about the Star of Many Points quilt block. Maybe it was not popular or had another name that was more widely used. Is anyone familiar with this block?

The Star of Many Points block can be found in Electric Quilt's Blockbase  program as #1255.

Tomorrow-Sweet Pea Wreath

2 comments :

  1. You certainly did a good job making this block. It does look a bit challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and Thank you for this great star pattern...

    ReplyDelete