Wednesday, December 11, 2013

St Louis Star quilt block

St. Louis Star
July 11,1933-The St. Louis Star was originally pieced from "old fashioned dark blue calico, but the lighter colors and prints of the present day make more attractive quilts, even though less historically accurate," wrote Nancy Cabot in her column about today's quilt block.


I found three different versions of antique St. Louis Star quilt patterns. Nancy's pattern is colored quite differently. I like the coloring of Ladies Art Co. pattern from 1897 and the newer version published in the Progressive Farmer better.  Be sure to check them out.









I made my 6" block according to Nancy's coloring. I changed the center from being an eight point star though.  You can download my paper pieced pattern here.  These are the pieces I used-


The parts go together like this-


Piece the center first, add the sides and then the top and bottom rows.  It is an easy block made this way.

I didn't find any quilts made from the St. Louis Star pattern but here's a drawing of Nancy's pattern which used thirty six 15" blocks-


The St. Louis Star block can also be found in Electric Quilt's Blockbase program as #3830.

Tomorrow-Rose Beauty


No comments :

Post a Comment