Sunday, November 24, 2013

Old Maid's Patience quilt block

Old Maid's Patience
 June 24, 1933-Nancy Cabot had very little to say about the Old Maid's Patience quilt block on this day eighty years ago.

She simply noted that it was popular in colonial times as well as the 1930's when she was writing for the Chicago Tribune and that it kept it's original name throughout history.

As you can see, it is made up of four Lemoyne Star or Eight Point Star blocks.
That means in a 6" block like I have been making, each star finishes at 3".  I may be crazy but I decided to try it.  I knew I didn't want to do any "y" seams so I added some extra seams and decided to paper piece it. It works great!





Each star block is made from eight of the pieces shown at the top of the photo at the right and sewn together in four sections as shown at the bottom of the photo. You can download the pattern I used here.  The Old Maid's Patience block can also be found in Electric Quilt's Blockbase  program as #3736a.


I found old quilts here and here. The second one is called Old Maid's Patience but it's not obvious to me that four of these stars are in each block as it is in the first quilt.


Tomorrow-Seth Thomas Rose



No comments :

Post a Comment